Friday, September 21, 2007

Poor, Sick Baby

Last night I checked on the baby before heading to bed...she seemed restless as she laid in her crib and it made me pace around a bit and periodically lean into the crib to listen to her breathing. Thinking it would be smart to try and get some sleep for work (but knowing I'd spoon the baby monitor all night), no sooner did my head hit the pillow that I heard her start to cry. It wasn't her normal middle of the night "I'm hungry" cry...it was more of a sad little mewling that told me something was definitely wrong. Sweet little baby had a fever of 102.8. We gave her a dose of Tylenol and called the pediatrician. He assured us that it was not uncommon after immunizations for a baby to get a fever up to 48 hours after. His advice was Tylenol every 4 hours and a lukewarm bath. The bath definitely calmed her down, and after some help from Josh we were able to get her back to bed at 1 a.m. Then she was back up at 4 and another dose of Tylenol later she fell asleep as I snuggled her in the rocker. It's about 6 am and I hardly slept a wink...I'll be home with her today to give her lots of lovies and make sure everything is okay...I even placed a call to Ohma and Ohpa this morning and they'll be here in a couple of hours for some "anxious mommy" support. There's nothing quite as heartbreaking as a sad little baby cry. I'm learning that all the emotions of motherhood can truly be overwhelming - especially this feeling of wishing you could suffer for them.

2 comments:

Jessica and Adam said...

Ohhh poor baby!! Give her a snuggle from the Malisch Clan. I know the feeling of wanting to take the pain yourself, I now know my parents were not kidding when they said they would take the shots for me if they could.

Rusty, Kim, Austyn, & Bryce Waldron said...

Bryce had a fever a few weeks ago and I feel for you. It really sucked! We actually jumped the gun and took him to the hospital since it was after hours. A blood draw, cathedar, and IV later and it was just nasty virus. Glad to see she is on the mend!